Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
IITA conducts all its research in the framework of the CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs) and operates through four regional hubs, based in West, East, Southern and Central Africa. To align with the CGIAR and to further ensure delivery of high-quality science and effective use of resources, IITA will move towards a results-based performance management system.
We are thus looking for a suitably qualified, dynamic and enthusiastic person to fill the below position and to lead this activity for the institute.
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Duration: Initial appointment of 3 years
- The M&E Specialist will be responsible for institute-wide M&E function and activity, focusing on key performance indicators (KPIs) at the hub, CRP and institute level, and provide strategic support to IITA management.
- The M&E Specialist will report directly to IITA’s Deputy Director General (DDG) R4D and coordinate activities of M&E experts in other divisions and in projects.
The primary responsibilities of the M&E Specialist will include:
- Develop a Monitoring & Evaluation framework for the institute. A key aspect of the M&E framework should be gender sensitivity/mainstreaming.
- Establish, lead and coordinate an institute-wide M&E team.
- Provide management with adequate information for strategic decision making.
- Support IITA management in the implementation of results-based performance management.
- Lead M&E activities.
- The candidate should hold a PhD, MBA or similar advanced degree in a relevant field.
- PhD degree, MBA or similar advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent track record in developing M&E frameworks and implementing results-based performance management.
- Conversant with database development, storage and management
- Knowledgeable in: performance analysis indicators, logical framework approach, theory-based evaluation, formal survey techniques, rapid appraisal methods and other participatory methods, cost-benefit analysis and impact assessment approaches
- Proven leadership skills and sensitivity to cross-cultural and gender issues and ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English language are required with proficiency in other international languages viewed as a strong asset.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and time management skills.
- Commitment to gender equity and diversity.
Method of Applications
Interested and qualified candidates should attach application, including covering letter, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees addressed to the Human Resources Manager to: http://www.iita.org/nrs-online-application
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 8th February, 2013