Job Title: Research Associate
Duration: 2-year renewable contract
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in scientific support/backstopping to national programs on product development, processing and utilization of IITA mandate crops (cassava, maize, soybean, yam and cowpea).
- Ensure day-to-day operation of the food processing and postharvest engineering laboratories, general supervision of staff, and related matters.
- Provide links with other projects involved in commercialization of IITA mandate crops
- Maintain correspondence and linkages with collaborators
- Assist in conducting Training of Trainers workshops and demonstrates on product development, processing and utilization of IITA mandate crops (Cassava, Maize, Soybean, Yam and Cowpea)
- Develop new products using Cassava, Maize, Soybean, Yam and Cowpea.
- Work in collaboration with the private sector in product development and testing
- Assist in planning, implementing and monitoring of pilot processing plants
- Provide expertise in quality control/assurance of food products, analytical data and food production plants.
- Provide technical support to small and medium scale processors on processing and utilization of IITA mandate crops (Cassava, Maize, Soybean, Yam and Cowpea)
- Work with non- government organization and community-based organizations to disseminate technologies on IITA Mandate crops
- Perform any duties assigned by the supervisor
- Masters degree in Food Science and Technology and other related fields.
- Minimum of three (5) years’ working experience in agriculture research organization will be an added advantage.
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritise and organize workload; take initiative and work under pressure
- Good team spirit and also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties
- The ideal candidate must be willing to travel extensively within Africa.
- Good Knowledge of Human Nutrition
- Excellent English reporting, writing and oral communication skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point)
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae, the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/ Superior officer at work. Evidence of current remuneration package and photocopies of credentials, to IITA website.
Note: Application letters not accompanied with evidence of current remuneration and age will not be treated. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 29th January, 2013
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.