Job Title: Communications Director
- 5+ years professional experience in communications
- Educational background BA or BS degree, MA preferred
- Experience in developing and managing educational communication and public information programs
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations related to communication programs
- Knowledge of cultural and communication norms and expectations for Nigeria
To oversee the design and manage the production of all communications and public awareness activities and materials related to implementing the Project, and supervise the project communications team, including the Technical Writer. The Communication Director will lead the strategic development and implementation of all project communications activities in close collaboration with other project technical staff and support staff and work to create a “climate of communication” within the project. S/he and the communications staff will:
- Update the communications strategy for the project as necessary;
- Work with other project team members to develop communications activities that support the implementation of their components;
- Maintain primary contact with the media and communications production houses;
- Manage the design and distribution of public education materials, including publications, press releases, special radio and TV infomercials, public service announcements and other types of programming.
- Work with other staff members, including short-term consultants and subcontractors, to ensure consistency in the communication of key messages related to project’s technical work;
- Facilitate the active participation of local project partners in the development of project communications events an materials, providing mentoring and training to enhance their capacity in this area. Where necessary, conduct specific assessments of grantees’ and subcontractors’ communications needs and develop capacity building tools based on assessment findings:
- Identify channels for communicating key messages to beneficiary communities, project partners, the client, and other stakeholders and develop networks for getting key messages to target audiences;
- Ensure project compliance with USAID communications and branding requirements;
- Ensure that the Project website is updated regularly;
- Help identify and manage local and expatriate communications consultants, when needed;
- Help identify and manage contracts with local communication production houses.
- Maintain a database of video and photographs consistent with USAID and Chernonics corporate photography guidance.
- Integrate communications activities into annual work plans
- Work closely with Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to monitor the impact of public awareness/communications activities;
- Monitor project activities to identify impact and success stories and ensure they are captured, developed, and distributed to USAID and effectively used in project communications products
- Assure regular and timely information to stakeholders about project approaches, achievements and challenges through a rich variety of channels, including contractually mandated materials and in collaboration with public mass media and the press; blogs and other e-channels; events such as fairs, information days, conferences, contests etc.; face to face communications; and other materials.
- Actively seek out and use current project, national and international data to inform the content of communications materials;
- Secure USA] D’s approval for and organize press conferences and workshops for media representatives in relation to media events in conjunction with planned activities;
- Prepare contractually obligated deliverables for USAID, such as bi-monthly updates, quarterly reports, annual reports, workplans, etc.; and provide editorial support to improve and organize content for technical and project deliverables and materials:
- Carry out training programs for staff and partners (both subcontractors and grantees) as they pertain to advanced communications planning and communication coverage at events, branding and marking, media outreach, etc.:
- Establish guidelines and processes for project reporting, media outreach (e.g., ground rules for contacts with the press, authorized spokespersons, key messages. and most effective media channels), and final report planning;
- Perform any other task that is consistent with the Communications Directors’ skills and experience and this Scope of Work.
Please, apply only if you have the required qualifications and work experience by emailing a full CV detailing all relevant professional experience and achievements, a cover letter detailing qualifications in relation to the position, and three professional references to:
Please specify the position in the subject line.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Chemonics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline March 28, 2013
Employment Opportunities at Manpower Nigeria. Apply Now!