Irrigation and Water Resources Management Project (NIWRMP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds of these funds to payments under the individual contracts for the following two (2) individual consultants. The proposed project seeks to achieve improved performance of irrigation and water resources Infrastructure and institutions for enhanced agricultural productivity in selected irrigation schemes.
Position: Project Coordinator
The Project Coordinator will lead the Project Coordinating Unit (PCU) and take full responsibilities for all day-to-day activities in order to ensure the NIWRMP is property prepared and implemented in compliance with the World Bank standards and policies, as well as with Government regulations and procedures. More specifically, the primary responsibility includes.
- Lead the PCU team and coordinate all PCU activities; supervise consultants hired for the preparation of the project.
- Lead the day-to-day aspects of planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project preparation activities in the Project Coordination Unit (PCU).
- On a regular basis, report to and receive guidance from the Steering Committee and the Permanent Secretary.
- On a regular basis, seek technical guidance and advice from the Interim Project Preparation Team (IPPT).
- The Consultant will operate from Abuja. The assignment will be for one (1) year, with the possibility of renewal subject to work requirements and satisfactory performance.
- Post graduate degree in a Technical field related to Irrigation and/or Water Resources Management such as Irrigation/Civil/Agricultural Engineering; a degree in management or administration would be a plus.
- At least 12 years of work experience including team leading and in the preparation of Projects for Government and/or donors.
The procurement Officer is to be a member of the Project Coordination Unit (PCU) to ensure procurements under NIWRMP are property carried out in compliance with the World Bank procurement policies and guidelines. More specifically, the primary responsibility of the Procurement will include:
- To prepare and issue standard bidding document for procurement goods/works to eligible bidders and ensure procurement steps in implementing procurement procedures are adhered to.
- To prepare and issue out Request for Expression of Interest (REOI). Shortlist, Adverts and Standard Request for Proposals (RFP). are adhered to the step-by-step guide, including all aspects and details related or forming part, of the procurement bidding process of goods, works and consultancy services.
- Clarification of the recommended general responsibility of the procurement office or unit taking into consideration the relationship with other offices or units.
- The Consultant will operate from Abuja. The assignment will be for one (1) year with the possibility of renewal subject to work requirements and satisfactory performance.
- Degree in any relevant fields such as Economics; Engineering, Public Administration or Law. Post Graduate degree in the above areas will be an added advantage.
- Trained on procurement in World Bank procurement guidelines and procedures.
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience of directly handling/managing procurement activities underworld Bank funded projects.
- Previous experience in public procurement, business or public administration.
- Knowledge of international organizations/agencies’ and national public procurement regulations and procedures.
The Social Safeguards Officer is to be fully responsible for all activities related to social safeguards compliance at the PCU of the NIWRMP. He/she will liaise and seek guidance with the social experts of the IPPT team to ensure that all activities under the NIWRMP are properly prepared and implemented in compliance with the World Bank safeguard policies and other relevant social regulations and procedures.
The Social Safeguards Officer will operate from the NIWRMP PCU office in Abuja. The assignment will be for one (1) year, with the possibility of renewal annually subject to work requirements and satisfactory performance of the life of the NIWRMP.
- Post graduate degree (Masters or equivalent) in Social Policy, Sociology, Anthropology. Development Studies, Public Administration, Political Science or other relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in project and analytical work, with ability to lead strategic operations and deliver high quality products. In addition proven experience and accomplishment in the following specific areas is recommended:
- Expertise in one of key Social Development themes, including civil society, citizens’ empowerment, social accountability and governance, social capital, social exclusion – both in terms of carrying out analytical work and identifying operational applications in these areas.
- Knowledge of Nigerian Federal and state legislations related to SD issues in infrastructure sector such as Water Resources (Irrigation, Hydrology, Dams, s), Rural, Water. Energy etc.
- Experience carrying out stakeholder consultations and organizing social safeguards training workshops/seminars.
- Knowledge of the FGN programs/procedures and World Bank Safeguards Policies will be an added advantage.
The Environmental Safeguards Officer is to support and advice the PCU and Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to ensure that all activities under NIWRMP are properly prepared and implemented in compliance with the World Bank safeguard policies and Federal Ministry of Environment (FMEnv) regulations and procedures.
- The Environmental Safeguards Officer will operate from the PCU office in Abuja and report to the Project Coordinator.
- The assignment will be for one (1) year, with the possibility of renewal annually subject to work requirements and satisfactory performance of the life of the NIWRMP.
- Post graduate degree in Environmental Agricultural Engineering, Environmental Management/ Science Natural Resources Management or other relevant fields.
- At least 6 years of work experience in the preparation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs)/ Environmental Impact Assessment (EIAs) /Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) / Environmental Audits (EAs) reports for donor funded agencies. In addition proven experience and accomplishment in the following specific areas is recommended:
- Experience in formulating, assessing, and reviewing environmental and social safeguards compliance documents related to the infrastructure and Agriculture sectors.
- Knowledge of Nigerian Federal and state legislations related to environment, & social issues in infrastructure sector such as Irrigation. Agriculture, Water Resources, Urban Water, Energy etc.
- Experience carrying out stakeholder consultations and organizing environmental and social safeguards training workshops/seminars
- Knowledge of the Federal Ministry of Environment regulations and procedures; and World Bank Safeguards Policies will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) on or before 21st March 2013. The services in which the Consultant is expressing interest should be clearly written in the top right corner of envelope in this manner; eg: “Social Safeguards Officer”
Federal Ministry of Water Resources,
Attn: Engr. R. A. Oyewole (Deputy Director, IPM),
Irrigation and Drainage Department
Room 336. Block A, Federal Secretariat,
Area 1, Garki,
Telephone No: 08033208490
Employment Opportunities at Manpower Nigeria. Apply Now!